1. Main Menu
  2. >>
  3. Fantasy Fiction
  4. >>
  5. King Feet



King Feet


Papoose Doorbelle


"Mom?"

"Yes Matthew?"

"Can I study king fool under master Zen Chen too?"

"We talked about this dear, you're not old enough."

"But I want king fool!"

"King fool?" She laughs.

"Yeah, so I can kick like a king fool!"

"The king doesn't kick anybody, at least not that I know of," mom answers as seriously as she can.

"But why does Jason get to and I don't!"

"You're brother is older than you," she explains. "He studied kungfu last year, not king fool, and now he's going back to start the next stage."

"But I want to!"

"Well, you'll just have to wait," she assures as all mothers do; not promising, but leaving a glimpse of hope in her wording.

"So I can go next year?"

"I never said that," she quickly responds, "you'll have to ask your father; he'll decide if you study the path of Zen."

"I thought I was going to study king feet?"

"It's kungfu honey, not king fool and not king feet," she explains.

"Kungfu? That doesn't sound right."

"I know honey," her words comforting and dismissive simultaneously.

"Dad! Mom's making up words to trick me!"

"Matthew! That's quite enough!" Mom barks.

"I never get to do what I want!"

"Well, that's probably because you're always wanting," she answers.

"What does that mean?" Matthew asks in confusion.

"It means get out of the kitchen and let me cook in peace."

"But mom!"

"I said that's enough. If we do decide to send you to train with your brother, you better believe the zen master will not tolerate this sort of behavior."

"So you are sending me? Dad said yes?"

"He hasn't said anything to me yet, but if you're good and you behave yourself I don't see any reason why your dad wouldn't let you."

"But Jason said he had to make a choice between the mediation studio and the martial hearts studio."

"He did?" Mom seems surprised.

"Yeah, that's what he said."

"Okay, I don't know about that. Your father always handled the classes while I stayed home and took care of you."

"Will I get to choose?"

"And if you do? What choice would you make?"

"I don't know mom. What's medication and what's martial hearts?"

She laughs before pausing. "It's meditation and martial arts dear. I heard the stories of the children deciding between two doors, but in the end, you learn the same thing, how to control your emotions."

"What's that?"

"Emotions?" She releases a mild scoff. "I'll explain it when your older."

"But wait, you said dad decides."

"He decides if you get to go at all is what I meant," she explains.

"When?"

"When you're old enough, just like your brother."

"But momma!"

"That's enough of that foolishness. Come help me set the table. You're father should be home any minute."

"Okay," Matthew answers as his shoulders slump into submission, "I bet the king doesn't have to set the table."

"I doubt he does with those fancy king feet of his," mom answers.

"I knew it!"